Are you interested in helping people with disabilities make our own choices & run excellent meetings?
If so, we are looking for you! https://redwoodcoastrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/PFHelperBookFinalPrinter.pdf
Self-advocates (adults with developmental disabilities) want to start up People First chapters again locally, so we are looking for people to become People First Helper/Advisors in Lake and Humboldt Counties.
Helpers/Advisors help people with disabilities to speak for ourselves, make our own decisions, and build the lives and groups we want.
We are looking for people with the following skills and experience:
- You want to learn more about the People First movement and its principles.
- You are committed to working together with people with disabilities to make our ideas happen.
- You are committed to talking to people and listening to them.
- You can help people to organize and run meetings.
- You can work with other people to get things done.
- You are good at supporting people to deal with complicated logistics.
- You believe in making complex ideas easier to understand.
Why become a People First Helper/Advisor?
- You will make a difference in your community with people with disabilities.
- You will learn new skills and meet new people.
- You will be paid for your work ($30/hr.).
- This is rewarding part-time work (maximum 84 hours/year).
If you are interested in becoming a People First Helper/Advisor:
- Read Guide to becoming a qualified people first helper https://tinyurl.com/PFCAHelperHandbook
- Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8goqmSDEMI&t=1s
- Contact Sierra Braggs at 707-445-0893 ext. 348 or email@example.com about next steps.
- Attend a training on Nov 4, 2023 from 11 am – 3 pm on Zoom or in person – lunch provided (encouraged but not required).
Nov. 4th Training:
Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84360094253
Lake County In Person: Redwood Coast Regional Center 14888 Olympic Dr. Clearlake, CA
Humboldt County In Person: Redwood Coast Regional Center 525 2nd St., Eureka, CA