What are Home and Community Based Services (HCBS)?
Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) are services and supports provided in home and community-based settings, with the intent of diverting or transitioning individuals from institutional settings into their homes and community. RCRC-vendored providers of Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) are subject to these changes in regulation. New RCRC vendorizations and service providers contracted through the Self Determination Program (SDP) are expected to be in compliance upon initiation of services. Existing providers should work with RCRC’s Community Service Department to update their vendorizations as needed. RCRC wants to support all providers in achieving compliance with regulation, so that providers may continue to qualify for Regional Center funding.
In March 2014, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) adopted updates to federal regulation regarding Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) to promote:
- Person Centered Planning
- Individualized Services
- Access to the Full Benefit of Community Life
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Tools for Home and Community-Based Services
- CMS Powerpoint – FAQ HCBS Implementation: Guidance on Heightened Scrutiny
- CMS Letter 3/22/2019 – FAQ Guidance to State Medicaid Directors
- FAQs Concerning Medicaid Beneficiaries in HCBS who Exhibit Unsafe Wandering or Exit-Seeking Behavior 12/15/2016
- Guidance on Settings that have the effect of isolating individuals receiving HCBS From the Broader Community
- HCBS Final Regulations 42 CFR Part 441: Q & A Regarding HCBS Public Notice & Comments
- Regulatory Requirements for HCBS Settings
- Incorporation of Heightened Scrutiny in the Standard Waiver Process
- Steps to Compliance for HCBS Settings Requirements in a 1915(c) Waiver and 1915(i) SPA
- CMS Letter of Initial Approval for California Statewide Transition Plan (2/23/2018)
- CMS Statewide Transition Plan Toolkit for Alignment with HCBS Final Regulations Setting Requirements (9/5/2014)
- HCBS Settings Requirements (6/26/2015)
- Extension of Transition Period for Compliance with HCBS – CMS Letter to States (7/14/2020)
DDS Tools for HCBS
- DDS Letter Overview of the Federal Requirements for Home & Community-Based Settings
- DDS HCBS Bulletin for Clients and Families
RCRC Tools for HCBS
- HCBS Provider Orientations – RCRC offered provider orientations throughout our 4 counties in August. This is the Powerpoint used during the provider orientations.
- Non-Residential HCBS Provider Self-Survey
- Residential HCBS Provider Self-Survey
- Council for Quality Leadership – Toolkit for States
- HCBS Supporter Guide
- HCBS Settings Rule – What you should know!
- Council on Quality Leadership Powerpoint – Organizational Change